Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Filming Process

WE FINALLY FILMED!!!

Yesterday night, Cata and I got to film all of our music video in our school's auditorium. I think one of the best things about filming in the auditorium was that we could manipulate the lighting to give the video a sultry, dark look. Our dancer, Rachel Capo, glowed in that light with a blueish, reddish tint that made the dance even more mysterious.

One of the things that must be mentioned is the skill and professionalism of our dancer. Both Cata and I were left in awe at Rachel's work ethic. She learned the whole dance in less than a half hour, and she danced tirelessly even after we made her repeat the dance countless times. Our coreography, created mostly by Cata, came to life and it couldn't have been more perfect.

Cata going over the movements with Rachel

I decided on a natural look for Em's makeup
I created shadows in Rachel's face by contouring her face




















Our main struggle with filming the dance was balancing the movement of the camera with the movements of the dancer. Many times, we were too slow to move the camera and capture the dancer's sharp movements. Also, we ran into some problems as we learned to use the lighting and curtains of the auditorium to tailor it to the set we wanted. For example, bringing down the main curtain (which you see as the black background) was extraneous work because it was extremely heavy. Somehow, I ended up being the one always moving the curtain so my hands were raw from the rope by the end. As for the lighting, we played around with the brightness of the camera to make the shots a bit darker and more glowy, but I'm worried because that might have caused the different shots to slightly differ in coloring.
As you can see, Em and Rachel bonded during the long filming session




Overall, I think filming went very smoothly. I'm grateful for the team that I worked with and wouldn't change it for the world. The song and vocals created by Em and the emotion portrayed in Rachel's dancing mixed together beutifully to create an intense, dark and yet emotional video.Now that I've filmed, I can't wait to start editing to see the final product.






Here is a short behind the scenes look into our music video experience:


Until next time,
 Isa

P.S: Filming dance scenes is a workout! Both Cata and I had to hold the camera and follow Rachel's movements so many times that we too were out of breath by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment